Best Blog on the Block

vipBLOG

Featured 

Quick TIPS: Warning signs of a gas leak in your fireplace

vipHomeLink-Unlit-Fireplace

Nothing warms you up on a cold winter's night quite like a fireplace. Though gas fireplaces have become safer in the last 20 years with shut-off devices and oxygen depletion sensors, homeowners still need to practice safety procedures, but when they should be worried?

We spoke with Paul Pirro from PSE&G's Appliance Service to learn the signs that indicate a leak in your gas fireplace and the absolute don'ts to help keep your home and everything in it safe.

Warning signs you cannot and should not ignore

Gas meters can be installed inside the home, but they require special permission, as they increase the risk of an indoor gas leak.
  • The fireplace does not light.
  • Your home methane detectors sound.
  • Your carbon monoxide detectors sound.
  • A stench of "rotten eggs" or a "gas odor" permeates the home.
  • You can hear a hissing sound near your fireplace.

Gas fireplaces use very little natural gas compared to other gas appliances, so you can have an issue without the presence of that rotten eggs or sulfur odor. Your home methane detector is your best friend in this situation. Listen to it and get out of the house. When in doubt, call 911 or your local utility company's emergency line, and always do so after leaving the house.

Carbon monoxide gas is odorless and colorless. Some people don't realize that they're suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning until they become very ill. Physical symptoms, such as respiratory problems, may occur immediately or gradually. Carbon monoxide detectors can alert occupants of the presence of deadly carbon monoxide levels that can be present without anyone knowing. When a gas fireplace is being used, carbon monoxide detectors can sense a potential carbon monoxide condition that can be created when fuel burning equipment malfunctions.

 What do you do if you suspect a gas leak in your home?

  • Immediately exit the building and move at least 350 feet away.
  • Call 911 or call your gas company (such as PSE&G).

Both are available 24/7/365 and will come to your home. PSE&G will arrive within 60 minutes of the call, often sooner.

 Absolute don'ts when it comes to a gas leak

Don't use your cell phone or any electronic devices until you are safely outside and away from the home.

We're not exaggerating. Protect life and limb by adhering to these important tips:

  • Don't use electronic devices inside. That includes your cell phone. Only call 911 or your service company after you've moved away from the danger area.
  • Don't turn the lights on or off, doorbells, or appliances. Sparks can create combustion or an explosion.
  • Don't start cars.
  • Don't light a match, smoke, or vape.
  • Don't try to find the source of the odor.

Get out, assess the situation, and call the appropriate authorities.

These important do's and don'ts also apply to detect a gas leak in your home, including gas burning appliances including hot water heaters, ovens, and dryers. 

Learn more home safety steps in our member-exclusive vipTIPs, and learn more about gas safety in 5 burning questions (and answers!) about gas fireplaces, including issues with the gas line or gas pipe, the fire source, and general fireplace safety. 

Not a member? Subscribe today with our 90-day, risk-free trial. 



Advertiser Disclosure:

Any offers that appear on the vipHomeLink site, in our content, vipTIPs or other recommendations are for the convenience and benefit of our users. vipHomeLink may receive compensation from any purchases that are made by our users. This compensation is paid by the seller and will not impact the prices that are offered. This compensation arrangement may impact which offers appear and which sellers are featured on our site.

If you elect to use or purchase services from third parties, you are subject to the third parties' review of your information and to their terms and conditions and privacy policy. vipHomeLink does not endorse, warrant or guarantee the products or services available through the vipHomeLink offers (or any other third-party products or services advertised on or linked from our site), whether or not sponsored.

Outsmart the invisible killer
5 burning questions (and answers!) about gas firep...

Related Posts

© 2015 - 2020 vipHomeLink LLC - All Rights Reserved - Patents Pending

Contact

Address:

6 South Street #302

Morristown, NJ 07960

 

Would love to hear from you!

[email protected]

 

Search